Tuesday, April 16, 2013

I was in West Virginia when 9/11 happened. And yesterday I was in California as Boston's bombing unfolded. I am experiencing the same dismay and sadness. I know 9/11 was on a different scale, but Boston was my home. There is a certain hopelessness about how the victims are never really the ones who are doing the fighting-- The victims always seem to be caught in the crossfire of the extremists fighting whatever fight they think they are fighting-- whether it's religious, political or just in their own minds. Suffering like this is never justified though. But hope resides in how we respond. We cannot be intimidated, we must reach out and help each other and carry on. And that is what i saw in the way Boston reacted. People ran toward the blast to help those who couldn't help themselves. People with homes near the blast opened them up for respite for those who needed it. the first responders, police, fire personnel, hospitals and medical people all worked quickly and professionally. Even those runners from all over the world, kept running to the hospitals to give blood. I am saddened that Boston has become another in a long list of places that have been affected by this senseless violence that has seemed to contaminate our culture. I am at a loss today.

via Linda M. Micciche, MNA http://www.facebook.com/pages/p/68228714276

No comments: